Occupational Therapy aims to help people of all abilities to live fulfilling lives by making changes to their environments and every day activities. Prosper O.T believes that the best outcomes occur when the client is involved in all aspects of their care, and therefore we work with the client, their families, and/ or carers to achieve goals that are important to them.
Common Occupational Therapy interventions include helping children of all abilities to participate fully in school and social situations, helping people recovering from injury to regain skills in work, at home, and in the community, and providing supports for older adults experiencing physical and cognitive changes.
Some examples of how Occupational Therapists work with each individual include:
Working with children –
- Sensory-based intervention to assist with the child’s ability to process sensory information in potentially stressful situations (e.g. school, shops).
- Social skills intervention to teach the child to appropriately interact with others and develop and maintain meaningful relationships.
- Developmental skill-based intervention to assist the child to achieve developmental milestones, such as fine-motor skills and hand-eye coordination, through play-based activities.
Rehabilitation and aged care –
- Helping clients to regain or enhance participation in their daily activities after specific events such as hip replacement or stroke.
- Assessing and modifying clients’ home and community environments to improve their safety and independence.
- Prescribing and educating clients and carers in the use of adaptive equipment to assist function.
Mental Health –
- Designing and implementing individualised programs that will enhance clients’ independence in everyday activities.
- Empowering clients to devise coping strategies in overcoming their mental health issues.
- Improving clients’ confidence and self esteem in social situations.
For more information on what to expect during your consultation with Prosper O.T, please click here.